Home
Search
FAQ

Board index » General forums » Discussions

Post subject: The Market
PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 10:13

We've been seeing some issues recently with either the market or inter-colony transfers (not sure which, at the moment).

Essentially, these are caused by people (I won't name them) purchasing and/or transferring large quantities of goods. For example, we had an instance recently where a transfer was done with 12,451 trade cogs, each containing 1 GC (presumably, someone must have been selling 12,451 items at 1 GC each).

The trouble is, this huge quantity of items causes issues when processing the tick. Each tick is 300 seconds apart, so if the tick did nothing but process this market arrival, it would have to do 41/second (and on another world, someone is receiving 12,451 wagons). We've optimised pretty much as far as we can, and the best we can do is around 20/second, so something like this takes around 10 minutes to process for the receiver, and another 10 minutes for the sender. This essentially means huge purchases like this break the tick for everyone.

We need to make some changes. A couple of idea I've thought of are ...
a) Limit the number of purchases that can be made to something more sensible - so that a kingdom can only have 1000 (say) items in transit.
b) Limit the number of wagons/cogs that arrive per kingdom. So, after the first 1,000 items arrive, the rest stay as "unloading" until the next tick. In the example above, the 12,451 cogs would be unloaded across 13 ticks, or just over an hour.
c) Or something else I've not thought of.

So, I'm throwing this open to the forum to see what other people think.

Greg

Post subject: Re: The Market
PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 16:59
Apprentice

B makes the most sense..

PostPosted: 12 May 2012, 11:19
Wandering traveller

Hello Tom,
How about limiting the amount of Market/Cog purchases that any one KD can buy per tick? I am not sure if this will solve the issue, but may help in limiting what 'one's' KD is allowed/permitted to accomplish.
I feel the this would help level the playing field between the highs and the lows...

PostPosted: 12 May 2012, 11:43
Wandering traveller

I like B as well.

PostPosted: 12 May 2012, 13:26
Journeyman

B sounds good to me

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 06:05
Journeyman

C - Reset all the worlds :twisted: (although it is quite possibly W10 is causing the problems so that wouldn't be nice)

Option B would only affect a small number of people so I'm all for it.